Frequently Asked Questions & Common Terms
What is the difference between a Budget Opinion and Quote?
- A budget opinion serves as a tool to assign a rough order of magnitude budget cost to the project during the conceptual planning phase. As construction documents are completed, RCS will be able to provide a Quote to the customer which will be the official cost breakdown of the construction and project costs.
What is a Change Order?
- A change order is work that is added to or deleted from the original scope of work of a contract, however, depending on the magnitude of the change, it may or may not alter the original contract amount and/or completion date.
What is a Submittal?
- Shop drawings, material data, samples, and product data. Submittals are required primarily for the design and engineering team to verify that the correct products will be installed on the project.
How do I transfer funds for job payment? How much do I transfer?
- Please follow directions at the bottom the project Budget Opinion or Quote which will indicate in RED the total amount of funds to be transferred.
- FOR FIXED COST REMODEL PROJECTS and CONSTRUCTION SERVICES JOBS FROM THE FACILITIES REMODEL & CONSTRUCTION SERVICES UNIT ONLY – please issue a Kuali TRANSFER OF FUNDS document.
- Our Fixed Cost quotes that we provide to our customers state either Remodel Services or Construction Services at the top of the quote.
- In the FROM line with your customer fund use Object Code 9905
- In the TO line use fund 7741480 Object Code 9904
- FOR ALL OTHER FACILITIES MANAGEMENT WORK – Please continue to submit a Work Order Authorization (WOA) in Kuali.
- If you have questions, please call:
- WOA Submission & Transfer of Funds Submission – Kim Pearsons, 970-491-0552.
Single Trade vs. a project?
- A project will consist of multiple trades in order to complete the scope of work. For example, a project may include coordination between electrical, plumbing, mechanical, paint and drywall trades.
- A single trade request would have limited scope relevant to one trade only. Examples of a single trade could include, adding an electrical outlet, upgrading a sink, or painting an office space.
Can I perform my own work, even if it is paint?
- Unfortunately, no. All work in University buildings must be registered and performed through the Remodel and Construction Services department. Please see Construction Approval Policy for more information.
What is Code Compliance?
- All projects and construction documents must adhere to building code compliance through our University building department. More information about our adherence to the code standards in place across the university can be found at https://www.fm.colostate.edu/Code_Compliance_Program
Other questions, comments or concerns?
- For questions and concerns about the Remodel & Construction Services Section, please contact Dan Kozlowski.